mgs

Foul Plugs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Foul Plugs
From: MGBBRENDA@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 16:17:36 EDT
I need some help to determine why my 77 B spark plugs are fouling.  First, I
just switched from a Weber to twin SU's (HS-4's).  The plugs were already
fouling (black soot).  The choke was sticking open on the Weber and I already
had a complete SU set up ready.  Changed the carbs, but still getting black
fouling (not oily).  Since I have an electronic ignition, thought it might be
a problem with the ignition.  Put on a new coil and new ignition amplifier
module (was for another B of mine).  Got those changed and for the first few
minutes, the car accelerates and idles great, but as soon as the B gets up to
temperature, it cuts out, and fouls the plugs.  I am using Champion NYK9
spark plugs.  I hesitate to adjust the jets on the SU's, only because I took
them off of a B that was running great.
Please let me know what else I should consider looking at.

Brenda McCarty
1977 B (daily driver)
1979 B (my husbands daily driver)
1969 B (my project car that will be street legal/race prepared-will be
finished by October)
1969 B (project car-to be restored for my parents for their wedding
anniversary next year).