mgs

RE: Roll bars

To: "'Michael Torrusio'" <mtorrusi@maine.rr.com>
Subject: RE: Roll bars
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 13:45:07 -0800
Michael:

        Sorry to jump in on this, but this question went around the list a
while ago.

        A roll bar will only protect a person if their body stays within the
limited area defined by the height and shape of the hoop.  In a race car the
body is strapped securely to a seat and the head is protected by a helmet.
The race course is carefully managed to reduce the possibility of intrusion
into this protected area during a crash. Haybales, tires, armco etc.

        For street use a roll bar is going to give limited protection in the
case of a roll over.  To fit under a soft top, the bar tends to be low.
Stock seat belts do not hold the body firmly in the seat, and the head is
not protected if it impacts the bar.  Luckily unlike an SUV (I couldn't help
myself) it is difficult to roll a sports car.  Unfortunately the kind of
impact that involves a rollover tends to also involve lumpy bits that can
intrude into the area protected by the bar.

        Roll bars do provide some side intrusion protection, so there is an
added element of safety in the more prevalent case of a T bone accident by
some idiot that did not see you.

        All in all, installing a roll bar in a street car is a very personal
decision.  The likelyhood that a rollbar in a street car will save your life
IMVHO is small.  Once a sports car starts to roll, the fates have you in
their grasp.  See Barneys pictures of Dick Criswell's fatal crash.  A roll
bar would not have helped Dick.  Driving skill and good seat belts are the
best way to stay safe.

        As to the initial question.  All of the commercially available roll
bars if installed correctly will keep the car off your head in the event of
a rollover on a solid surface.  The question is, what were you doing rolling
over on a solid surface :)

Kelvin.
Who has a roll bar in his MGB GT, and Vintage race car.  But does not plan
to put one in his MGB V8 street car.