mgs

Re: non-LBC (Volvo) question: Why does a bad thermostat = new engine?

To: Steve Shoyer <Steve@shoyer.com>
Subject: Re: non-LBC (Volvo) question: Why does a bad thermostat = new engine?
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 07:48:07 -0600
Steve Shoyer wrote:

>   Today we got a message that they recommend
> that the engine should be replaced, which should cost about $6500.  It's out
> of warranty, but Volvo is willing to pick up $4500 of the cost, leaving us
> to pay $2000.  From what I've picked up from my wife's translation of what
> the service person told her, the bad thermostat caused a crack in the head.
> They said that we could try to just replace the head gasket for about $1000,
> but only if we were about to trade the car in.

Well, Steve, I've never owned a Volvo but I have dealt w/ car dealers and, for
the most part, they are all the same. My guess would be that the engine
replacement will cost Volvo the $4,500 and they are trying to make 2 large for
their trouble.  Your vehicle was covered by the warranty when you first made
them aware of the problem and you made attempts to have them fix the problem
before the warranty expired.

Trade in?  That's the other place they will bend  you over and get their $2,000+
back.  I don't know what caused all  your problems but you seem to have
documented your repair attempts prior to the expiration of the warranty.  Start
w/ the procedure in your owner's handbook and follow it to the letter.  If you
end up in civil court, you need to demonstrate that you tried all other options
as spelled out by the manufacturer.  These might include talking to the service
manager, talking to the general manager, talking to the owners, talking to the
area/zone Volvo office, etc.  After that, sic the Better Business Bureau on them
(usually worthless but it shows you tried all othe avenues) and finally your
state's attorney general's office.  See if you have lemon laws in your state and
what they entail.

Be prepared for a fight!  They will not give up easily but w/ your documentation
in hand start the process and make sure you get names, dates, times, locations
and what each person said to you.  If they know that you are serious and won't
lie down for them they usually actually work things out.

Last resort: lawyers.  Avoid this approach until the very end and don't use it
unless absolutely necessary.

--
Larry Dickstein
Lone Jack, MO