mgs

Re: can't remove the brake piston

To: rcrump@enid.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: can't remove the brake piston
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 15:06:27 EST
In a message dated 2/1/00 2:02:19 PM Eastern Standard Time, rcrump@enid.com
writes:

<< I disapprove of compressed air.  It makes a mess when and if the piston
 blows out.  Place a 3/8 fine thread bolt in the hole for the brake line.
 Open the bleeder nipple.  Take your grease gun and force it on to the
 nipple.  Start pumping.  As one piston will get ahead of the other, place a
 c-clamp on it before it makes it all the way out of the caliper and then
 pump the other piston out.  This is a kinder, gentler way to remove the
 pistons and you have to clean the calipers up anyway. >>

If you are advocating pumping the caliper full of grease to push the pistons
out, I have to disagree.  Everything I have read about brake systems says to
prevent contamination of the system with petroleum products.  It would be
very difficult to remove grease from inside a caliper, and make it clean
enough to not contaminate new brake fluid.  Plus, most of the books say to
extract the pistons using compressed air.

The only way I can see to properly clean a caliper after doing this would be
to separate the caliper halves.  This is not recommended as a normal rebuild
procedure.

You (listers) can do what you want, but IMHO, do not pump grease into your
calipers.  If I misunderstood your meaning, please write again and explain.
I am always open to new ideas, but Safety Fast where brakes are concerned.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport