mgs

Re: can't remove the brake piston

To: "simon hurley" <simonsensis@hotmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: can't remove the brake piston
From: "Mike Lishego" <mlishego@asheboro.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 23:07:09 -0500
Chances are, if they're stuck in the caliper you're going to want
new pistons anyway.  Soak them in liquid wrench or PB Blaster
overnight.  Make sure you remove the bleed screw and hoses then fill
the inside of the caliper with the penetrating oil.  Then put the
whole caliper into a vise and get a pair of vise grips that will
securely grip one edge of the piston.  Turn, pull, and fight them
out.  Then use them as ashtrays, parts holders, etc.

New pistons and a rebuild kit will not cost you much when it comes
to the safety of you and your car.  I think my total came to about
$50 for the whole lot, but I could be wrong.  Anyway, it's an easy
project to rebuild those suckers.

Mike Lishego
http://www.mgb.bc.ca/virtualgarage/
1991 Mazda Miata