mgs

RE: ABS experience

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: ABS experience
From: "Scott McKorkle" <bmc@aa.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 10:58:00 -0800
Bud,

Funny you should mention this.  Nearly the same experience the other day
with my 91 Saab 9000 with ABS.  Only difference was a truck entering
traffic, causing the car in front of me to slam on brakes.  Wet pavement.  I
was going about 40 mph.  Based on 25 years of driving experience (and
re-enacting that slow-motion thought process that occurrs during a panic
stop), I was anticipating a skid and a thump.  Instead, the Saab stopped
quickly, smoothly and in a shorter distance than I expected.  I did feel the
brake pedal shudder under my foot, but everything else was smooth as silk.
It made me feel much better about the ABS on my car, anyway.  First time I
really slammed them on in over 105K miles and nine years!

I do recommend that everyone with ABS (and without, for that matter), go
find a safe parking lot and try some panic stops on wet and dry pavement.
I've done this with my MGB.  It gave me a good sense of what the car could
do in a panic.  It also (I think) was the cause of my rear wheel cylinders
to begin to leak.  No problem, easy replacement.

Scott McKorkle
1978 MGB