mgs

A question for the gear heads....

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: A question for the gear heads....
From: "DENNIS COX" <djc@appsig.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 09:03:47 -0700
A stock cam has 108.5 degree lobe centers.  For my year (67) the book
give 14 degrees advanced for the initial ignition timing.  A performance
cam, in my case a D. Elgin 7008-10, has 108 degree lobe centers.  Using
the Kent gear set the cam was advanced to 104 degree lobe centers per
the suggestion of the grinder.  Now for my question..  Since the cam is
aprox 4.5 degrees advanced, shouldn't the ignition timing be advanced
also, say to 18.5?  Any thoughts etc. on the relationship between cam
timing and ignition timing would be appreciated.