mgs

DIY Education Continues (longish)

To: "Gary The Car Guru" <Thecarguru@aol.com>, "MG LIST" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: DIY Education Continues (longish)
From: "Steve Conley" <swconley@foxinternet.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 12:40:14 -0700
Tried my first attempt at two maintenance items; adjusting the rear brakes
and replacing the gearbox oil. First up on the "B" (AKA: The DIY Training
Vehicle) was adjusting the rear brakes. Thanks to a tip by Ray Huff, I
removed the rear wheels which gives easier access to the adjusting bolts.
The procedure went quick and smooth (for a change). Then I went for a drive
to test it out and I started to smell something burning! I got out to check
and sure enough there was smoke coming out of my LR wheel and the wheel was
hot. Doh! Guess I tightened a bit too much. So I jacked it back up and
tweaked it down a skosh. Now I started on the gearbox. Once again everything
was going pretty smooth, until it was time to fill it back up! The filler
hole on my tranny is on the side with not a lot of access room. I remembered
that there was an access plug on the hump behind the radio where the older
models had a dipstick/filler hole. I stuck a tube down the hole and attached
a funnel on the top side and stuck the other end in the filler hole. What do
you know, it worked! My education continues...

Space isn't remote at all.  It's only an hour's drive away if your car could
go straight upwards.
-Sir Fred Hoyle, British Astronomer

Steve Conley
Marysville, WA  USA