mgs

My new Yokohamas

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: My new Yokohamas
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 12:01:06 +0000
After some research (and after finding that they didn't make my
preferred Dunlops for my rim size) I went for the Yokohama A509s in
185/60R14 configuration to replace the generic 175/70's on my standard
wire rims - yes, they fitted on my little wire rims.  I have never been
so instantly happy with tyres in my life.  Right from the drive home
after first fitting they felt... great!

(Treadwear 160, Traction A, Temperature A)

Of course my impatience meant that two days later I was out on the track
and without being properly 'scrubbed in' these soft-compound tyres were
slipping all over the place - and a slowly deflating left rear tyre
didn't help (a bur on the inside of the rim had punctured the tube...),
but with the punctured tube replaced and a few weeks wear, I am again as
happy as anything with these tyres. They stick like glue when you want
them to and are also great in the wet.

I was wary of going 60 profile but apart from noticing the need for a
few extra revs for the same speed (well, I think I notice this), I love
the way my car is handling.  So... for anyone searching for a decent
tyre, check out the Yokohama A590.

My 4.5c worth (because Scotty reckons I have been too quiet on this list
lately).

Eric
'68 MGB MkII