mgs

Re: engine dismanteling help

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: engine dismanteling help
From: David Tulchinsky <tulch@ccsalpha3.nrl.navy.mil>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 08:44:16 -0400
>Hi all,
>
>I'm currently in the process of dismanteling my engine (77B, 18V engine)
>for a complete rebuilt.  The engine is not yet out of the car (but will be
>as soon
>as I rent a hoist), however it is well on it's way to be in a hundred
>organized pieces.
>
>However, I'm having a couple of problems.
>
>1.  After removing the head, and pushrods, I can't get all of the tappets out.
>1,4,5,&7 (from front to back) came out, but 2,3,6, & 8 are stuck. (I
>believe they
>are mainly the exhaust valve tappets.)  They come up about a inch, but then
>get stuck and won't come out.  Will I have to wait till the engine is out
>and the
>oil pan is off to drive them out the bottom, or it there another way??
>
>2.  I tried to get the distributor drive spindel out.   The housing the
>distributor
>slides into, Moss Part 460-640, #50 on pg 9 of recent catalog.  It has one
>screw, which is removed, but the the object itself is quite difficult to move.
>A little WD-40 and PB -blaster later its still stuck.
>How much persuation (read: big hammer) should I need to use on this
>part.  I suspect it should just slide out, but so far no luck.
>Do I need a puller???   Any tricks??
>
>Assuming I can get the above out, I think there should be nothing else to
>remove to get the cam out.  I'm assuming it should just slide out
>at this point (time gears are removed), but its getting stuck on the above.
>
>One other thought, is it dangerous to lift the engine out by the head bolts??
>That is, can I hook the hoist up to bolts connected to the block vias the
>head bolts threads??  Will the threads rip out or will I warp the block??
>I suspect not, but I figured I'd check.
>
>Thanks for all of your help.
>
>-Dave

First off, thanks for all of your help.

As far as the above is concerned, here is what I have surmized:

1.  Tappets.

>Are the tappets really stuck? How long has the engine been unused? In any
>case, to get mine out I coated them liberally with oil and used the suction
>from the pushrods to pull them out. It required a bit of patience, but it
>worked.

 Yes they are stuck.   Engine was running (with a loud clanking noise) a
few weeks ago.
Yes I tried oiling them, penetrating fluid.  I was able to get the others
out by
either using the pushrod suction method, or sticking my finger into the
hole on top
and pulling.  It works well, until the bottom part of the tappet starts
coming to the
top of the bore.  Then it binds and the finger/friction is not enough to
remove.
I'll probably just wait until I get the bottom end off to get these out.

2.  Distributor drive spindle.
I was initially afraid of getting the big hammer out, but sounds like from
your posts
that persuading it is ok.

3.  Cam removal:
At this point I'm not sure if the oil gear is required to be removed on
this engine.
I think the Haynes manual and the Bently manual give conflicting info.
Anyways
with the tappets still in there, I'm not sure its a good idea to leave them
floating around
in the cam area w/o the camshaft, so I may leave it in for now.

4.  Lifting engine by head bolt threads.
I was planning on making some braces to go across the engine w/ holes
in them into which to put bolts which would attach to the engine.  The
chain/hook
of the hoist would attach to the braces.  Sounds like this is an ok plan.

Thanks for all of your help.
I'll keep you updated (read: asking for more help in the future.)

-Dave