mgs

Re: Free play

To: Neil Cotty <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Subject: Re: Free play
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 02:04:21 +0509
Neil Cotty wrote:

> For a long time I have noticed a real nice big clunk when reversing
> from standstill or going forward from standstill. Worse reversing.
> Well I've located the source of the problem and
> I'm wondering what I should do about it and actually where the problem
> is. Where the propshaft uj joins the diff, there is considerable play
> in the diff end - around 1/2 - 3/4". Is there supposed to be free
> play? If so how much? I wouldn't imagine anywhere near this amount.
> The clunk was very loud and seemed to be getting worse. The UJ's are
> perfect, the play is in the diff end.

Neil,

If you fix your clunk your way and I don't fix *my* clunk by replacing
the rear hubs then I am going to be very cross with you!  Although I
know that the hubs need replacing anyway I hate to think that this
little bit of added expense will not address this very noticeable
problem.

The extra proof of my solution being close for me (Wednesday), however,
is that I can make *my* "clonk" noticeably less by giving the right rear
knock-on an extra few whacks with the mallet.

It seems that the MGB has more ways to "clonk" than any other vehicle I
know!

Eric
'68MGB MkII