mgs

Re: Seatbelts UPDATE

To: Stefan Roundy <stefanr@bealenet.com>
Subject: Re: Seatbelts UPDATE
From: Joanna Adler <joannaadler@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 12:29:43 -0800
I have an update from Land Rover:

It seems that a few years ago they thought they had solved the seatbelt recall
problem but unfortunately the seatbelts they were planning on using to replace
the recalled belts failed.  So they had to go back to the drawing board and
redesign them yet again.

The latest is that they are taking names, addresses, phone numbers and VIN's
and then you will get a letter and later the seatbelts... I was told that the
current ballpark timeframe is March (although I swear he said May once).  It
seems that they are waiting for "Europe" (his word) to send them to the USA
and then they will be distributed.  If I hear more I'll let you know.

They didn't have any short term options/ideas.  :(

I know this recall has been in existence for at least ten years - I found
notes from my past 'B - and it's sort of amazing that something that is such
an issue of safety has not been resolved in all that time.

Joanna