mgs

Re: Brake and Axle soiree on '74 B.

To: "Kulka, Matt" <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Brake and Axle soiree on '74 B.
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 19:05:39 -0000
If the hub and drum could move I would expect any wear marks to be at the
top, not the bottom, the weight of the car tending to move the top of the
drum in.

The screws are really only there to stop the drums falling off on the
production line, when they don't have any wear ridges.  The wheel and nuts
hold the drum fully and solidly seated.  Since having to fight to get the
screws undone on a couple of cars I have always left them about half a turn
loose.

The back-plate is relatively flexible.  Could it have become distorted?
Could you flex it to get sufficient clearance?  With the drums in situ what
do the relative positions of the drum and backplate look like top to bottom
on the side with the rubbing (is it only one side?) and left to right?

PaulH.