mgs

Re: Tourism in UK

To: Simon Matthews <simon_matthews@avanticorp.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tourism in UK
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 17:56:19 -0500
At 02:51 PM 12/10/98 -0800, Simon Matthews wrote:
>Maybe you should consider getting together to ship MGs across the Atlantic
>-- you might get a bulk rate!
>
>A whole bunch of US-registered MGs touring the UK would certainly be an
>event (although not unique or unprecedented, I think). I'm not sure where
>you buy your 'USA' stickers, though.
>
>Simon
>---
>Simon Matthews                          MailTo:simon_matthews@avanticorp.com
>'57 MGA
 Not to rain on your parade, but stick to the coach idea. That will be hard
enough. The logistics of taking our cars to Britain is harder than going to
the moon. I've been there and done it. In 1990 we (NEMGTR) shipped 89 cars
on roll on roll off from Newark, N.J. to Liverpool and back (23 days from
Lands End to John O'Groats). The trip is legend now. Don't even think of
driving North American cars in Britain until you obtain and price shipping
insurance, marine insurance and last and most impossible, road and
liability insurance(required) to drive over there.

If you can by some miracle get over the insurance problem, the logistics of
arranging customs ( you go through U.S. and Her Majesty's two times each)
is a nightmare. My wife spent many an all nighter correcting the forms
people sent in as few can follow directions in either American or British
English.

 The cars must be on the docks days in advance of loading in both places.
We can't start our cars ourselves,  yet others will have to do it on such a
trip. If the cars don't start they don't go roll on roll off. Ah you say,
we will ship by container. That's the James Bond method. "Shaken not
stirred. " A few on our trip shipped by container. Believe me roll on roll
off is the only way for such a plan.

Arranging Hotels B&B s or what ever with changing credit cards,
cancellations, changes in contracts (you better have them or the hotel that
promised you x will give you y or even deny the reservation. )
Those that sign up will drop out because of sickness, going broke, getting
married, getting divorced or getting sober. And always at the last minute.

I have known of several trips after us . Nothing was ever done on the scale
we did it, and the two trips by motor coach were of mixed success and
expensive.

I have to admit it was the greatest MG adventure of all times for me (5
days in Abingdon alone with meetings with retired factory workers and MG
legends)  There is no substitute to driving a TF through the back roads of
a foggy moor avoiding sheep, or through the Highlands of Scotland. However
don't even think about it unless you were the chief logistics officer for
Operation Desert Storm and have the staff he had.

Mike