mgs

Re: Calipers, 71 MGB/ Lubrication

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Calipers, 71 MGB/ Lubrication
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 22:51:28 EDT
In a message dated 8/11/98 7:15:02 PM !!!First Boot!!!, eaz@snet.net writes:

> > I decided to start at the beginning, the brake pedal. I was surprised to
> find
>  > that the pedal would not return to its normal position. When I grabbed
the
>  > pedal and moved it back the brakes released!! Thinking it was the return
>  > spring I checked this to find it in good condition. The pedal arm seemed
>  > move quite stiff. I removed the pedal box cover (why do we have this? Its
> only
>  > function seems to hold the stop light switch) and found that the pedal
arm
> had
>  > indeed a bit of rust on the bushing. This was causing the pedal to bind
> and
>  > not travel its normal distance. Anyway a bit of WD-40 and my trouble is
> gone.
>  > The brakes release and I find the B roles a lot better. I must have been
>  > traveling with the brakes on for a while. I will have to make these
points
>  > periodic lubrication check. I guess I can spray them from below and not
> have
>  > to remove the cover.
>  >
>  > Always Learning
>  > Bob, 71 mgb running fast and straight!!

My clutch pedal started squeaking on my 71 MGB. Peeking from below, I found
the whole assembly was rusty. I now make the pedals part of my lubrication
regime. I also spray from below, but I use an aerosol spray that has real oil.
I just don't trust WD-40 for heavy duty lubrication. It just seems so darn
thin. Am I wrong here?

My TD had a clutch pedal that wouldn't retract, and a brake pedal that was
worn to the point of being wobbly. The problem? The DPO never saw fit to lube
the pedals. The TD even has a grease zirk for this very purpose.

While I'm on my soapbox, how about those door hinges? These, like the pedals,
should never wear if they're lubed regularly. As a bearing, they just don't
see that many revolutions. But let them get dry, throw in a little rust, and
you have doors that won't close.

Does anyone know of other nooks that need to be lubed, ones that aren't
mentioned in the manuals?

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336