mgs

Re: Possible Carb Problem (long reply)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, mgrazian@ltcm.com
Subject: Re: Possible Carb Problem (long reply)
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 11:06:33 -0400
Hi Mike,

The fact that the timing was out of whack initially, that it hesitates
until it gets going, the sputtering at 3000 rpm all sound like timing
problems.  More specifically, that the distributor timing isn't
advancing when it's supposed to.  Connect your timing light, unplug the
vacuum advance from the distributor (put a pencil in the hose to stop
the vacuum from leaking) and fire up the motor.

As you increase the rpm's up towards 3000 does the timing mark advance?
If not, your centrifugal advance is not working.  Now go back to idle.
Reconnect your vacuum hose.  Does the timing change?  If it does, your
vacuum advance is fine.  Otherwise, read the next paragraph.  (This
isn't a final test because the vacuum advance may use ported vacuum - of
which there is none at idle.)

Go get a really big syringe from the local veterinarian or pharmacy.  No
needle required.  Connect a piece of vacuum hose between the syringe and
vacuum advance.  Pull off the distributor cap and pull on the syringe to
create a vacuum.  Does the plate inside the distributor turn?  If not,
your vacuum advance is not working.

If the problem's the centrifugal advance, then either there's so much
gunk in the distributor that things won't slide, or the springs are
stretch so far they aren't pulling back when they're supposed to.

If the problem's the vacuum advance, then you can probably remove the
current one and install a replacement.  Check the normal sources.

Sorry to be so wordy, but since you said you were new to this, I thought
I'd be a little more explicit.  Besides, it isn't often I get a chance
to know more than someone else on this list.

Matt Kulka
'74 B - with a new distributor.  Both advances were shot.

(BTW, I don't think fantastic will find your vacuum leak.  It needs to
be something combustible - like carburetor cleaner.  I'll bet your
manifold is sparkling clean though!)

>>> Michael Graziano <mgrazian@ltcm.com> 06/05/98 10:09am >>>
I recently purchased a 78 midget (1500cc).  When it was bought,  it
idled
(and ran) rough until it warmed up...