mgs

Re: Side light grounding

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Side light grounding
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 19:56:52 +0000
Trevor Boicey wrote:

> Are the signal/head/position lights on an MGB grounded through
> the metalwork or through the wiring?

My 73 roadster side lights/turn signals are grounded through the
body.  I had trouble getting a good enough ground - with the base
plate tightened down the chrome trim would have tightened down onto
the paint before the base.  I used two nuts on each stud - one on the
outside of the body and one on the back.  This allowed me to get a
good ground whilst positioning the base so that the chrome was off
the paint.  I bought some extra foam pieces to pad out the gap
between base and body.  It seems to me that the chrome trim is way
too deep.  I have seen concourse winners with the paint damaged here.

PaulH.