mgs

Re: Waxoyl vs. Other stuff

To: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Subject: Re: Waxoyl vs. Other stuff
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 20:39:37 -0500
Hi Dan:

There's always the good old Canadian prairie trick.  Take the door
panels,inner kick panels, and rear quarter panels off.  Pour a cup of motor
oil in each opening.  You can use used oil if you like.  Tape any drain
holes prior to doing this.  Let the oil stand overnight then allow it to
drain.  I'll let you figure where to do this.

 You might have to assist the process here with  a few judiciously drilled
holes.  Make sure that the holes you drill will correspond to
commercially-available hole plugs.

Remove the door sill moldings, drill a hole in the top of the sills into
the rocker assemblies.  Pour in a cup of oil on each side.

Open the trunk - you guessed it.

Spray commercial undercoat on the inner fenders behind the wheels and on
the underside.  Clean thoroughly before doing this.  Don't worry too much
about the bottom but do get the area around the wheels and fuel tank.

Make sure that you have lots of rags handy for the next week or so.  You
can put the interior back immediately after doing this but you'll have to
wipe the exterior of the rockers for a while as the doors drain.

You can also do what I do.  Nothing.  I'm not going to drive mine in winter
and we live in a dry enough climate that rain water isn't going to hurt it.
Besides, how long do you expect to keep the car?  They all rust
eventually.  Why deny the next owner the fun of restoring it.  You'll
probably be on to some new project long before your present car turns to
goo.  Some may criticize this attitude but I think we tend to overdo it a
bit.  Many of our cars are still quite good after 25 years.  It's all in
how you treat them.

John