mgs

Re: aftermarket air-cleaner assemblies

To: Rick Morrison <gofastmg@juno.com>
Subject: Re: aftermarket air-cleaner assemblies
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 18:53:39 -0500
Rick Morrison wrote:
>   The exhaust and intake are so tied.  Simply put, what goes in, must
> come out.

  That's just not true. What goes in comes out, along with a whole
lot more. Gasoline goes in as a vapour and comes out as various
gases which are much more voluminous.

  That is the central point.

  As well, the exhaust and intake systems are isolated by the
valves. There is no meaningful amount of time when both
valves are open and the intake and exhaust are part of the
same air flow system.

>  If you increase the intake volume (increase volumetric effeciencey), and
> nothing to the exhaust

  This statement is in itself illogical. This statement within itself
assumes that the intake and exhaust ARE balanced, which is an
illegal assumption when you are trying to prove or disprove it.

  (ie: You can't prove A=B by saying "well, I know that A+1 = B+1
so therefore A=B!" because you are using the proof within itself)

  Obviously, improvements to both are a best. As well, an unbalanced
amount of improvement in one area without the other will not
pay off.

  However, it is simply not true that the intake and exhaust have
to be "balanced" in any scientific way. They don't have the
same volume of flow, not the same rate of flow, and not the
same gas temperature either.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada