mgs

Re: MGB Dashboard lights

To: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Subject: Re: MGB Dashboard lights
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 08:49:05 -0800
At 08:36 PM 11/22/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Folks,
>     I hate to burst your bubble, but the zener application for the lamps
>will not avoid the use of the voltage-dropping resistor. The difference
>between the car's operating voltage, i.e., about 13 volts, and the zener
>voltage will have to be dropped across some device, i.e., a resistor, in the
>circuit. In reality, the current through the zener diode itself will cause an
>even greater amount of power to be dissipated by the dropping resistor. Sorry
>about that.
>     As another poster already said, a readily available voltage regulator
>chip is a better device to use than a zener for the regulated 10 volts.

Hi Bud.

It's been a while since I had anything to do with zeners and I do understand
the point you make.  That being said however I believe the goal was to clamp
the voltage at a maximum predetermined level (the zener voltage) to prevent
the low voltage lamps seeing the full system voltage but still allowing for
some adjustment.  I think a resistor of the appropriate size and power
rating could be safely installed to handle the excess.  I was just trying to
dissuade someone from installing 7.5 volt lamps then putting a 1/2 watt
resistor they picked up at RS in series to drop the extra 3 or 4 volts.

Cheers,
  Ross MacPherson
 1947 MG-TC 3528
 1966 MGB-GT