mgs

Re: Electrical Problem on the MGA

To: sperera@blkbox.com
Subject: Re: Electrical Problem on the MGA
From: TRIFARI@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 13:14:16 -0500 (EST)

<< After driving the MGA 1600 in the evening, I noticed that my front parking
 lights and my passenger side rear break light are not on. If I just put the
 parking lights on, only the read driver side and the number plate lights
 come on. The left and right indicators seem to work on both front and back
 ( driver and passenger side). Any quick ideas before I get the wiring
 diagrams out ?

 On another lighting thought, were the fueled gauge and the water/oil gauge
 suppose to have illumination ?

 Thanks

 Sam >>

Sam--get out the wiring diagram.  If I understand your problem correctly, the
front parking lights are not on but the rear ones are on.  Given the chances
of two light bulbs burning out at the same time being zero to nil, I would
suggest that there is a break in the pkg light circuit where it splits to the
front and rear.  This will be a four-way connector with one input line, and
two lines out--one to the front pkg lights the othetr to the rear and plate
lights.  Chk that connector.  Brake lamp:  Both directional and brake use the
same  filament.  If a brake lamp does not work, but the directional does
work, the bulb and the wiring is OK and the problem lies in the directional
relay.  Normally, the contacts for the brake circuit rest again the input
contacts.  Sounds like the one for the errant brake light is not getting
power.  Open the relay and check it out.  Gauges:Yes the gauges are supposed
to be illuminated.  If both are not, there's a bad connection to the panel
lamp switch for that side of the dash.   John Trifari   1955 Healey BN1/1980
MGB/ex owner of 7 MGAs