mgs

Re: music at car shows

To: british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: music at car shows
From: rfeibusch@loop.com (Rick Feibusch)
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 11:32:19 -0700 (PDT)
>Rick,
>
>I don't see the point of canned music at BRITISH car shows.  Of course
>we've already covered this subject ad nauseum in a previous thread, but
>at the risk of opening old wounds, being of the 50+ generation, I CAN'T
>STAND 50's rock music at lbc shows! It's inappropriate.  I have to fall
>back on British Car Day in Bowie Maryland that plays none; the Hunt
>Country Classic in Middleburg that has a bagpiper; and the MGOC Northern
>Nationals in the UK that had a Pipe and Drum Corps.   Last week in
>Waynesboro, VA at the British Car show, there was a request to turn off
>the music, and when it was announced, the attending crowd applauded!
>
>Comments?
>
>Michael Ohleger

Possibly because of my broadcasting background and the way we handle the
music, I rarely get more than one or two complaints about the sound system
and get lots of positive comments and inquiries about what is being played
or for info on the band. Usually the complaints are about ANY amplified
sound and this includes pipers, pages, info, and occational patter and
interviews with celebrities and is voiced by people who have cars parked
right in front of the speakers. This is understandable but not a reason to
stop providing appropriate music and information. I just let the bothered
person move to a location that is not near the stage. I have been doing two
of the biggest British car shows in the US for years and years and this has
been no problem. Dozens of people set up blankets and chairs on the lawn in
front of the stage when we have live bands to listen while they are eating
lunch. Music is part of the SHOW aspect of an event as opposed to a
display. On the other hand, I would never inflict loud rock on a field full
of people and set the sound so interested parties could seek it and
disinterested parties can avoid it. Something for everyone. See you on the
Funway! - Rick