mgs

Re: Pros & cons`

To: "Debra A Morrow" <kaliphi@tabletoptelephone.com>
Subject: Re: Pros & cons`
From: "Jason F. Dutt" <simjason@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 11:09:06 -0400
Okay, my $0.02.

Here's my philosopy, and it's a pretty vague one.  I think it really
depends on the age and rarity of the car.  For instance, if you have a very
early B, I wouldn't molest it, as they hold more value, and they're rarer.
I suppose this next statement is a bit transcendental, but I almost feel
like we have a certain amount of stewardship of the heritage of these cars
entrusted to us when we buy them.  I still don't like it when I see someone
cutting speaker holes through the rear shelf of a '78 B, but it's a little
less painful than if they were doing it to a '66 B.

However, here's where it gets vague, and perhaps a bit hypocritical.  It IS
your car.  If you want to modify it, it's your choice.  The only
modifications that I have a hard time justifying are the ones that are
pretty much irreversible without extensive body work.  There's some "MG"
body kit advertized in the AMGBR's magazine that makes me sick:  it looks
like a Ford!

I have a '72 B.  I drive it a lot.  I have done some modifications,
primarily to the suspension.  I put a Spax kit on the rear (100%
reversible), and I intend to put a Moss coil-over kit on the front (You
have to cut the crossmember, so this is pushing it.  However, you can still
put the stock suspension back on with no visible change).  I will probably
put a stereo of some sort in, but with no cutting to the body, and little
to no drilling of any kind.  Here's my goal:  to make the car mine, without
making it no one else's.

Thanks for the opportunity to share the soap box :-),