mgs

MGA 4 syncro conversion...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA 4 syncro conversion...
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 19:37:05 -0700 (PDT)
Hello All!!

Well, my son and I have dropped the 18V engine and 4 syncro O/D
transmission into his '56 "A", and it went well.  We must use the "A"
exhaust manifold unless we grind the "B" exhaust flange off at an angle;
too many bucks for now.  The HIF carbs and linkage fit ok.  We'll use
the "A" water outlet and the "A" radiator because the "B" rad won't fit.

We don't know if the "A" speedo will be ok with the O/D transmission,and
my son's been transferring the electric tach guts into the "A"'s
mechanical tach case.

The O/D driveshaft ('73 "B" donor) is app. 1 to 1 1/2" short, so I have
to machine two 1/2" shims for the yokes on either end.  It's cheap to
shorten a driveshaft, but pricey to lengthen one.  It can wait for now.

We've already adapted the '73 donor disk brakes to the "A" suspension,
using the "A" shocks and some spacers I machined.  It aligned ok!!

The big problem is what to do for the rear tansmission mount.  We had to
cut the cross frame to get this far, and I'm not sure exactly what to do
for alignment as yet.  ANY ADVICE WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

Surely someone else has done this conversion, and would pass on the
pitfalls to us...

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen   (who couldn't believe how tight a fit this is)