mgs

FW: HELP!! (weird engine noise)

To: mgs
Subject: FW: HELP!! (weird engine noise)
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 13:19:18 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:  Admin request: /^subject:\s*help\b/i]

     Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 23:36:53 +0000
     From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
     Subject: HELP!! (weird engine noise)

I guess all this talk about how well my engine is running must have
angered MOWOG, because it's acting up.  My wife took my '72 B to the
beach today, and coming back, she said she heard a noise like a
wrench being dragged across a chain-link fence.  It's gotten worse in
the fifteen miles or so I've driven it trying to troubleshoot it.  To
me, it sounds like somebody lobbing BBs into an empty soup can.  Very
high-pitched pinging or clinking, not a knocking or thunking.  It
sounded like it was coming from the region of the water pump or
fan, but it may be farther back.  I can't really localize the
noise.
        Here are the symptoms:
1) The abovementioned noise.
2) Changing the timing doesn't seem to affect it.
3) Engine is running a little hot.  The needle now covers the 'N' on
the gage.
4) Happened halfway through a tank of gas.  Have filled the
tank with 93 octane to no avail.
5) Possibly unrelated, but when I go to start the car, the engine
drags for a second, as if I had a low battery.

If it is engine ping, what can cause this sudden onset, and how do I
stop it?  I'm pulling the head tomorrow morning to see if anything
obvious pops up.  I'll be leaving about 2pm GMT, and ANY hints would
be greatly appreciated.  What should I be looking at/for when I pull
the head?  It's a pre-smog head (no air injection ports).
Thanks a million,
Scott Gardner