mgs

Re: Ignition light on at idle?

To: Scott Gardner <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Subject: Re: Ignition light on at idle?
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 02:01:06 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Scott Gardner!!

On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, Scott Gardner wrote:

>     I have my idle set about 975 or 1000 when warm, and when I pull
> up to a light, the ignition light will flicker on, and then stay on.

On the previous '74 alternator, the light only came on if you stalled,
but the battery would slowly run down 'til we had to put a charger on
it, especially with the heater and wipers and lights on this winter.

> When I pull away, the light goes out and all is well.  The owner's
> manual says that the ignition light should be off at all speeds ABOVE

On this alternator, the light is on about half brightness at idle, and
slowly fades out until at 5500 rpm+ it's gone.  But, the battery never
goes dead, and we never have to charge it up!!

I don't really know what's normal for this electrical system.  I'm told
that the diode bridge is marginal in its' amperage rating, but that the
field windings, and the stator, are just fine.

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen