mgs

Re: Unexpected Help From Out of Nowhere #2

To: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
Subject: Re: Unexpected Help From Out of Nowhere #2
From: homestay@infolearn.com.au (Syl's Sydney Homestay)
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 13:38:53 +1100 (EST)
        G'day Mike you write:

>The solutions (to removing a broken half shaft) attested to  range from
>putting >crazy glue on
>the broken shaft to using the extension to the original jack to punch it
>out through the other side pass the diff gear.

        I like the jack handle idea as a first try.

>Variations on these themes include a contraption made by Rick Smith of the
>NEMG T register that involves a shaft and drill bit, then the use of a stud
>extractor on the shaft to grab it and pull. He swears by this, and claims
>to have used it dozens of times.

        I'd be worried about contaminating the diff with metal shavings.

>Then there are those who remove the pin
>from the bonnet hinge and enter from the good side, slip pass the diff.
>gears and hammer it out.

        Great roadside solution - might bend the hinge pin but it could be
        straightened later.

>When we opened the pumpkin to get the stub out of mine, it was so
>mushroomed at the end, that we had to slam it with a heavy hammer to get it
>loose, and this is with the rear opened up. I can't imagine any of the
>former methods being able to apply that kind of force.

        That's true. I guess we shouldn't rely on the half shaft breaking
        cleanly.

        A valuable thread with several possible solutions to the problem
        depending on the circumstances.

        Paul