mgs

Re: sill replacement

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: sill replacement
From: Dustin Howarth <howarth@pulsenet.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 97 17:50:05 PST
Gang:

I was looking through old posts and came across some
questions about sill/rocker replacement.  I had a few quick
questions:

What is a ballpark estimate of replacement parts only for a full
floor/sill/rocker/dogleg/etc. replacement for both sides?

Anyone who has done this repair D.I.Y.:  how did the
replacement  go?   Would you recommend it to others (taking
special consideration of my limited resources available to pay
a shop for the welding)?

I ask because I have access to MIG, acetylene, and arc
welders, and a friend with good experience using them, and I
came across a potential project car that could be had pretty
cheap (around $300), but needs full replacement of these parts.
 I know I don't want to pay a shop to do the welding, so I'm
going to base my decision on the cost of parts and feasibility
of doing the work in my garage with my friend.  I'd appreciate
any advice...

The car is a '67 roadster with wire wheels, an decent interior,
good glass, good dash, a hardtop in fair condition (needs to
have side windows replaced), and most of the body in good
shape except for the floors/rockers/sills.  Also has spare
rostyle wheels and a few extra parts.  Motor, trans (non-OD),
and front suspension are out of car (stalled project).  $300
sounds pretty good to me if we can do the welding work
ourselves.  Is this, in fact, an good deal considering the repairs
needed?

Thanks in advance,

Dustin Howarth
Washington, PA  (Pittsburgh)