mgs

BOUNCE mgs: Non-member submission from ["John (Scotty) Scott" <scotty@do

To: mgs
Subject: BOUNCE mgs: Non-member submission from ["John (Scotty) Scott" <scotty@dove.net.au>]
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 12:34:09 -0700 (MST)

     Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 23:41:20 +0930
     From: "John (Scotty) Scott" <scotty@dove.net.au>
     Subject: Re: MGB LE-Reply  (A Tad Long)

G'Day Len,
             I have an MGB-LE which came to Australia by way of a wrecking yard
in
Santa Rosa California, it is a daily driver for my wife now, and a much
loved MG. [Restored to daily driver standard, right hand drive, Pommy
Dashboard, Australian engine specs "sans pollution gear" and fitted with
the Automatic transmission from a factory MGB that was "killed " by a
marauding V**V*station wagon that ran a red light]  The driver of the B was
OK. When I first saw a picture of the MGB-LE in the book 'MG The Book Of
The Car' by Anders Ditlev Clausager,
ISBN 0-8317-5850-3 I thought 'They have finally got the 'B' right! I think
that to this day! ---- Now to business.----

*******IMHO I believe the following to be accurate information*******

*How many USA specs cars were made? = 6682 roadsters only.
*Introduced at the New York Auto Show-Spring of 1979.
*Available from the Summer of '79 through the summer of' 80'
*"Limited" to the production of 5000 Roadsters. [actual 6682 made]
*'Celebrating' 30 years of MG success in the American market for MGs

The following 'package' was added to a standard MGB, for $US-600

*Special Black Paint
*Special Alloy Wheels
*185 (SR) 70x14" Tires
*Air Dam Front Spoiler
*Competition Type Steering Wheel
*Black MG Coco Mats (American Sourced for '77-80 cars)
*Limited Edition Silver Stripes (American Sourced)
*Limited Edition I.D. (Dash) Plaque
*Luggage Rack (American sourced-with ski adaptors if required)
(Stereo radios were fitted, American sourced)
(a tonneau cover was standard)
(A 23mm Lug wrench for the special wheel lug nuts in the tool kit)

OPTIONS?
*Overdrive-(as on all MGBs)
*Interior Black or Tan (the only two choices available for this LE model)
*Air conditioning ('Never' a factory option, 'only' ever a dealer option)

Production.
1st car in March '79 (car # 492071)
Last California car # 500344 Dec '79
Last Federal Car of all # 523000 August '80 Presented to the
Ford museum

Of #51 of 250 on the Plaque? I have never heard of this before,another
MG mystery to investigate?

Regards.

John[Scotty]Scott.
Adelaide.Australia.

P.S. all proven corrections gratefully accepted.
P.P.S. all flames cheerfully ignored