mgs

Overdrive for MGB

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Overdrive for MGB
From: MGBCHRIS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 10:15:28 -0400
I am considering retrofitting my '77 B with an overdrive transmission.  The
car is a blast to drive up to about 60 mph on the highway, when it becomes a
bit buzzy.  I am also concerned at running the car at 3500 - 4000 R.P.M. for
long periods, as is required to achieve normal freeway speeds in direct
fourth.  Can a transmission from an earlier B be fitted without difficulty?
 What obstacles am I likely to encounter.  The engine in my B has around 75K
miles on the bottom end, and had new rod bearings, and rings installed after
the cylinder walls were honed at around 69K miles.  Oil pressure is a rock
solid 75 psi above idle, and 30-35 psi at 800 to 900 R.P.M.  I have also
fitted an oil cooler.  Oil is changed every 2500 miles (I run 20W50).  Am I
too cautious about engine R.P.M.?  Any help is appreciated.

MGBChris@aol.com