mgs

Re: 80 MGB horsepower?

To: jhoward@argus.lowell.edu
Subject: Re: 80 MGB horsepower?
From: DamitDick@megaweb.com (Damit Dick)
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 1995 16:46:46
The question was asked:

>>Does anybody know how much horsepower a 80 Fed. MGB has
>>with the single Zenith carb??  The pre-smog versions had
>>about 95hp, But the rubber bumper...

James replied:

>I heard it was less than the MGA 1500 of the mid fifties.
>It had 65hp, I think.  The 80 Fed. MGB was known at Abingdon
>as the "Gutless Wonder"

I don't know where but somplace I remember reading that the
late model MGBs had about the same horsepower as the MG-TD. If
memory serves me right that was about 54 - 56hp in stock trim.
While the hp may be about the same the MGB is quicker than the
TD due to better gearing and aerodynamics. My '70 B-GT is not
near as peppy as my '67 was and my '80 makes the '70 seem very
quick!

Dick :>)
Vintage Parts & Products
Have MG will travel