mgs

Re: Roaring exhaust sound

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Roaring exhaust sound
From: woodcomp@vt.edu (chris lenth)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 10:32:01 +0600
--part odoriginal message--

=I would like to buy a similar exhaust again to the one that came with the car.
=Unfortunately, I've thrown the old exhaust away.
=Can anyone tell me where it came from?

Bert,

I know what you mean about missing the roar of your old exhaust.  There is
nothing like the satisfaction of setting off a car alarm on someones SL just
by passing by.  I once read a bumper sticker at a Harley Davidson convention
that said "Loud Pipes Save Lives".  There may be some truth in that, as I
never had so much as a close encounter with a pedestrian or cyclist.  I
recently installed a MONZA exhaust system on my B, and while it sounds quite
good, it sure doesn't have the punch of the old system.  The old exhaust
system was 2" pipe from the header all the way back to the smallest
glasspack I've ever seen in front of the rear bumper.  Needless to say the
car really roared!  I really do appreciate the reduced noise on long trips,
though, and the stereo need not be cranked to hear it anymore.

FWIW, I am happy with the MONZA system, and if you are looking for a good
sounding exhaust system, that or the ANSA or PECO (or other performance
exhaust) systems are available from most parts mail order places.

good luck

Chris "earplugs, I don't need no stinkin' earplugs" Lenth