mgs

Re: Lever Shock Oil & tube shocks

To: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Subject: Re: Lever Shock Oil & tube shocks
From: Mike Gigante <mg@godzilla.cgl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 29 May 1995 18:49:56 +1000
The problem that some telescopic shock conversions have is that the A arms
supposedly crack more easily. I personally suspect that the reason is that
most tele conversions mount the shock onto the side of the A arm, introducing
torsion loads that are higher than designbed for.

I have a different mechanism that centrally locates the shock. I have a custom
bracket that mounts over the top of the lever arm. The gotcha is that I had
to remove the bumpstop and the tab on the side of the upper arm. Hey this is
for my race car so it doesn't really matter.

With this revision, I have never had a A arm crack.

BTW, if you continue to use the old lever arm as the upper radius arm once
you have the telescopic shocks installed, *DO NOT* just remove the shock oil --
replace th eoil with nice new oil and remove the damping valve.

The P.O. of my car fitted teles, removed the oil from the lever arm shocks
and it resulted in seized lever arms. I discovered this  by complaining about
the "rock hard" front suspension :-)

Mike

Mike Gigante                    Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
3D interactive graphics, Virtual Reality, british sports cars, and wine
http://godzilla.cgl.rmit.edu.au/mg/         mg@godzilla.cgl.rmit.edu.au