mgs

Re: Radio Ground (Earth)

To: ALESiegel@aol.com
Subject: Re: Radio Ground (Earth)
From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 10:18:13 -0400
>I have a question about where to connect the ground (earth) from my radio on
>a 1977 MGB. The radio was hardly producing any sound, and I finally took a
>look at it. Plenty of power to the radio, but the ground wire from the radio
>was not attached by the previous owner. There does not seem to be any wire
>that is just waiting to be connected to the ground. So, anyone know where
>this connects? Can I simply connect it to the metal console box in which the
>radio sits, with lighter, heater controls, etc. which sits just on top of the
>transmission tunnel? Or is there some other place to may the proper
>connection. Advice?
>
>Alan Siegel
>alesiegel@aol.com

I believe, you can ground it to any metal surface nearby, but if you want
to be elegant, I think there's a double bullet connector in the console
with three black (ground) wires connected in it - and room for a fourth
(well, there is on my '73).  You need a black wire with a bullet soldered
to the end.  Actually, it should also ground through the antenna wire
shield.  Run a continuity check from the outside of the antenna jack to any
known ground (bare body metal) using an ohmmeter(or run a test light from a
known hot lead to the outside of the jack).  If you don't get continuity -
loosen the antenna from the body and make sure there is clean bare metal
where it clamps and tighten it securely.  Also, check that the wire
connection at the base of the antenna is in good shape.

' Hope this helps a bit.
Allen Bachelder