mgs

Re: The Lil' Midget that Could

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Lil' Midget that Could
From: fickes@taurus.apple.com (Stan Fickes)
Date: Fri, 12 May 1995 11:52:09 -0700
(Andy Ramm described yet another problem to guess)
>The car died.  It then wouldn't turn over.  The electrics were dead.  No
>lights, no nuthin'. Omigodomigodomigod.  My first electrical MG gremlin.
>Any idea what the problem was -- as long as we're doing the guessing game
>thing?  The hint is that the fix was free, and nothing shorted out and
>nothing became disconnected under the dash.

Bad/loose connection at the solenoid battery connector, or loose battery cable?

>So, I drove the car to work.  What they say about Midgies not being good
>on the freeway is true.   But I do have one question.  Even with a 4
>speed, should it be revving so damn high?  The tach had an indicated 5K
>rpm and what couldn't have been more than 65-70 MPH.  Can this be, or did
>a PO change the final ratio on me for better acceleration?  I say 65-70
>because the speedo seems to have a mind of its own, which will need some
>looking into.  All I know was I was going slightly slower than flow of
>traffic.

I turn 4000 at 60 MPH in my Sprite, on the other hand, she sounds good and
is certainly ready to give more!  I'm on the freeway every day to/from
work, currently in a Sprite and someday in a TD.  I am hoping to lower the
ratio in the Sprite, and have already done so in the TD.  sf

Stan Fickes             If you want safe speed--buy safe speed--MG.
Wireless comm., ATG     Safety Fast!
Apple Computer, Inc.    1951 MGTD, under restoration
(408) 974-7653          1965 Sprite, daily commuter