mgs

Re: exh pipe heat, *header wrap*

To: GeneS59235@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: exh pipe heat, *header wrap*
From: Silikal@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 17:12:18 -0400
Gene wrote of exhaust pipe routing on his MGA:
>Trying to think of a way in keep the heat away from
>wood so "charing"of floor don't happen.

How about a "heat shield" - a piece of sheet metal attached to
the underside of the floor with screws and spacers so that there
is a gap between the shield and the floorboards?

Also, John Fagerlund wrote of header wrap.  This has been used
in many racing applications.  Recently, there was a thread on the
autocross list about it.  Seems that many headers can not withstand
the increased heat caused by the wrap and "disintegrate".  It works
much better if you have one of the newer ceramic-coated headers.
So, I guess this is sort of a "buyer beware" situation.

Just my $0.02,
Dave Williamson (silikal@aol.com) Spits in bits