RE: Strange splutters

To: "'Paul Hunt'" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>, "'Barrie Robinson'" <barrie@look.ca>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Strange splutters
From: "Theo Smit" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:23:05 -0600
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
For what it's worth, The Pertronix Flamethrower II coil measures 0.6 ohms at
the primary, and it's intended for non-ballast 12V installation, with a
Pertronix Igniter II electronic ignition module. I've had one of these on a
test bench (for tachometer testing) and it will pull instantaneous currents
of about 10 amps. The Igniter II module is designed to not leave the coil
energized if you stop the engine - a good safety feature for any ignition
system, but even more so given the high amount of power that this coil would
dissipate if left connected.
In my not-so-humble opinion, there is no excuse for having ignition points
in a car today unless you're absolutely bent on keeping "factory" appearance
(and maintenance requirements). There are so many excellent alternatives
available, and some for dirt cheap, that it's more effort to set up and tune
the points once, than it is to go get an HEI distributor and make the
necessary wiring changes to the car.

You can generally hear ignition misfires (due to bad plug wires or routing)
as a sharp snapping sound coming from the engine compartment, and if it's
dark outside you will be able to see the arcs between wires or between the
wires and metal engine compartment parts.

Best regards,
Theo Smit