Re: LS1 MGB

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: LS1 MGB
From: "Chris Lindh" <clindh@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 21:49:00 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I was refering to the all aluminum LS1. I believe the iron block engines are LQ4 and LQ9. I haven't been able to find reliable weight numbers for the LS1 or the 215. A couple websites list a manual transmission LS1 (and LS6) as weighing 497.2 lbs. That sounds heavy, like it may include the transmission as well (especially since the weights are different auto vs. manual).

In any event I hope you are right - because if the LS1 isn't that much heavier than the 215 (or the 1800) then it should be a good engine candidate. I also looked at the Northstar but the parts are expensive vs. the LS1.

There are several LS1 Miatas floating around the net - cool stuff.

Chris

Chris,
Are you talking about the iron block LS1? I don't remember the exact numbers, but the weight difference between a 215 and all-aluminum LS1/LS6 is far less than 100 lbs.
JJJ

clindh@bellsouth.net wrote:

Hi I'm Chris in Atlanta,

Is anyone working on putting the LS1 in an MGB? I like how light the Rover engine is (300 lbs. correct?)... but I'm thinking the LS1 without A/C or power steering is going to be around 400lbs (vs. the 1st generation small block Chevy which is over 500 lbs.). I've done quite a bit of searching but haven't found anyone doing the swap (yet). LS1s/T56s are plentiful as well.

I gave my brother my first car, a '77 MGB in sandglow. He's just letting it sit so I'm thinking about getting it back. The 1800 ran fine before but I think a V8 would be more my speed (my other projects are an '80 El Camino with a 406 SBC / Doug Nash 5 speed and a '68 Chevelle SS396).

Thanks!
Chris