Head Porting (was Re: Roller Rockers for ...)

To: match@ece.utah.edu
Subject: Head Porting (was Re: Roller Rockers for ...)
From: kmwheeler@ualr.edu
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 15:28:03 -0500
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net, "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
At times dicsussing head porting is worse than religion or politics...or even
favorite oil brand...

I would suggest the nifty little book "Practical Gas Flow".  I think I paid $8
for mine.  Great methodology and some good theory.  The problem is it is an art
and science, and assuredly not a first order version of either.  Some things
that "make sense" do not work and may make things worse.  Some things that
everyone knows to be gospel just plain aren't.  Intake ports should not be
mirror finished for instance.  The manifold/head port matching is consider by
many professionals to be outdated and ill-advised.  I'm not saying it's wrong,
or attempting to do your own heads is wrong (I love playing with cylinder
heads, but then I've got some really great data acqusition stuff in my lab and
homebrew flowbench gear).

Considering the price of messing up a set of heads, "Practical Gas Flow" is
nothing.  Also read Vizard's "Tuing the Austin A-Series".  Yep, not a big V8,
but it has some of the most incredible information on gas flow and head design
this side of the SAE library.

Again, YMMV, but I trust flow benches and dynos....and if you really wanna do
it, you can build a flowbench for not too much.

-Keith Wheeler