RE: Carburetor woes

To: "v8" <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Carburetor woes
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:15:45 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Ok, this thread has turned in an interesting direction...the fuel pump.  I'm
running a Purolator, little square auto parts store thing.  I think I have
the medium pressure pump installed 4 to 6 psi.  I'm just guessing because I
own one medium and one low pressure and have one of them in my stock B.  I
do have a fuel pressure regulator but it isn't currently installed.

I do have a question here.  I always autocross on a full tank of fuel so I
really hope I'm not starving the pump.  I have never gotten even a hint of a
miss in a straight line, and I would expect a fuel pump/pressure issue to
manifest at full throttle acceleration.  My problem is such that when going
through a slalom it will fall on its face around the first cone, come back
on as soon as the car straightens out and fall on its face again around the
next cone, and repeat.  It does it around all the sweepers too, but the
slalom makes for a clear example.

Can someone explain how fuel pressure would manifest itself like this?

Many people say that the Edelbrock is very sensitive to pressure, what
pressure should I be running?

Thanks
James Nazarian
71 MGBGT V8