TR8 Tansmission Ratios

To: mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR8 Tansmission Ratios
From: Rick1huber@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 07:59:54 EST
Cc: andrewh@symed.com
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Hi gang,

Still pondering my rear end gear change.  I know I'll get the low RPM  cruise
at highway speeds, but having trouble figuring what I'm going to give up  on
off the line quickness.  I'm using a web gear ratio calculator and  trying to
figure out what speeds I'll get in the different gears.

I've looked but couldn't find TR8 gear ratios on the web.  From the  speed I
get in different gears at 4 K RPM, using 4th gear as 1.0, and a roughly  10 %
speedo error, I'm getting ratios of 3.0, 2.0, 1.4, 1.0, and 0.83 (seems  like
I've looked up and knew 3rd, 4th, and 5th before). Can somebody confirm  those.

Another funny thing using the ratio calculator - I have to put smaller
diameter tires into the calculator to match the gears / RPM / speed.  My
195/50/15s calculate to 22.68" in diameter, but I have to put in 21.75" to
match  the
speed.  I've measured the tire diameter with a ruler and get 22.25" but  it's
in the dark garage, and might be a bit innacurate.  Anybody see  something I'm
doing wrong.

Then the big question.  When I change the rear end gear ratio to 3.0,  I
obviously get higher speeds in all gears at the same RPM.  So what will  that
do
to my acceleration.  These 3.5 engines have good low end torque,  and I've seen
many of you going with low rear end gear ratios, but can somebody  give me
the theory of off the line quickness vs top end speed and how to come to  the
right balance.  The original 3.9 rear end in the MGB was important for  a low
HP
/ torque engine to get up to speed more quickly because it gets the  engine
in to the better power range in each gear more quickly, but dragsters use  the
short (is that right), higher rear end ratios to accelerate more  quickly.  My
instinct is that the 200 or so HP and good low end torque of  the 3.5 engine
give the MGB a good blend of off the line acceleration as well as  top end
with the TR8 transmission and a 3.0 rear end.  Does anybody have  more
specifics?

Safety Faster...with a V8,

Rick