Rear End Swap $.02

To: <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Rear End Swap $.02
From: "Wayne Clarke" <waclarke@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 15:48:51 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
There exists several rear-end swap options that are strong and bullet-proof
but be careful of adding additional unsprung weight.  To keep that extra
weight from slamming against the bump stops when you run across some of those
highway expansion bumps, you will probably have to do something like increase
the spring weight, shocks, etc.  If you are inclined to lower your car, the
extra weight and limited travel adds to the modifications you will have to
do.

The 8" Ford is even lighter than the stock MGB and you can use the stock drums
with shortened stock axles as I have in my car (4x4 1/2).  The brakes front
and rear are balanced quite well with no other modifications.  The Ford axles
are much stronger than the MGB axles.  Be aware of the Ford 8" 3.0 gears, they
are noisy.  I built two of them before talking to a company that builds these
rears.  Their experience was the same.  I went to 2.78 gears and now have a
quiet ride, but this ratio needs a low end torque engine.