Re: Sound proofing

To: MGB-V8 <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sound proofing
From: "Joseph_Pitassi@brown.edu" <Joseph_Pitassi@brown.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 12:03:05 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
ok, i'm no sound engineer, but I do know a few things...

Sound is made by vibrations, sound deadeners help "get rid" of sound
by dampening vibrations, just as a suspension damper slows down the
oscillations of a suspension. Metal transmits vibrations very well (I
think steel is second for it's ability to transmit sound...water is
first), rubber does not because it's softer (less dense), the energy
from the vibrations can move the molocules around more (which I would
imagine generates a small amount of heat), yet it's strong enough to
stay cohesive (to a point...I'm sure if you vibrated a piece of
rubber enough it would disintegrate). The more dense a material is,
the higher its ability to transmit sound.

Yell into a pillow and you won't hear much. Take that same pillow and
compress it into a flat board and the sound will travel through much
more easily.

If there are any sound engineers out there and I'm talking nonsense
(I'm pretty sure I'm not though...I've read a bit about this sort of
thing a while ago when I was going to design a set of speakers)
please correct me as necessary!

Joe Pitassi