MGB V8 Project Progress

To: MGV8 list <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGB V8 Project Progress
From: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 19:31:46 -0600
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Hi'

Here is an update on my project - I've finally been working on it for
the past month.  I've finally gotten to the point where the engine is
sitting in the car!  I'm using a '78 MGB body shell that had been
converted to chrome bumpers (by the previous owner), a '62 Buick 215 and
a T5 transmission from an '84 Camaro.  I test fit the engine and
transmission two weeks ago, unfortunately it has been very cold (10 to
15 degree highs) since then so I haven't been in the garage lately -
even though I had last week off :-(  However it warmed up yesterday so I
will hopefully get some work done this weekend.  Here is a link to a
picture of the car with the engine in it (that's another project, a '39
Chevy, sitting in the background):
http://home.sprintmail.com/~mgtrautoxr/_uimages/MGV8_Front.JPG   Luckily
all of the bodywork had been done on the car, as well as a new paint
job, before I got it.  It looks good, though it is very dusty right
now.  I have it sitting on ramps and jacks to give me easy access to
underneath the car while doing installation.  I just used a portable
hoist on wheels to drop in the engine.  On Wednesday I just got some
"new" used American Racing wheels that I think will look great on the
car http://home.sprintmail.com/~mgtrautoxr/_uimages/MGV8_Wheels.JPG
I've always really liked that design and think that they will look great
with the dark blue paint.   Unfortunately, even though the body shell
came with a suspension, new wiring, door and window hardware I have a
lot of interior work to do (along with installing a heater, wipers,
etc.)!!
http://home.sprintmail.com/~mgtrautoxr/_uimages/MGV8_Interior.JPG      I
do have the dash, but don't have the console or most of the
instruments.  Luckily I have several chrome bumper parts cars sitting
around.

Hopefully this weekend I will get the inner fenders cut out for
installation of my RV8 style headers and will get the engine pulled back
out to do a little massaging of the top of the transmission tunnel and
of the motor mounts.  I also need to weld my radiator mounts in.  The
DPO (luckily not the guy who did the original bodywork and paint) cut
out the original mounts and welded new ones in back where they are on
the older MGBs.

By the way I ended up using a stock Buick flywheel, a new stock Buick
pressure plate (arm type - not a diaphragm type), a custom made clutch
disc and a Howe hydraulic throw out bearing.  They all seem to fit fine,
I had been concerned that the pressure plate was too thick.  The
pressure plate and custom clutch disc cost $85 and the hydraulic throw
out bearing cost $148 (new from Midwest Motorsports) - all a lot less
than a thought that I was going to have to spend on a clutch and throw
out bearing.

Yesterday I just received my Offy aluminum valve covers that I had
ordered from D&D.  They look great!  I can't wait to get them on the
car!

Well I've rambled on long enough - take care everyone and thanks for
your help.

Kevin Brown
Odessa, MO