Re: More info, but still won't start

To: Wake074@aol.com, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More info, but still won't start
From: FJ40Jim@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 07:41:11 EDT
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
In a message dated 5/7/00, Wake074@aol.com writes:
> I seem to be getting consistent spark, although not very strong.  When I
>  crank the starter, the voltage at the coil drops considerable down to
around
>  4 volts.  This is certainly causing the weak spark.

Glenn,
This is not normal.  A healthy battery and starter system should not drop
below 9 volts during cranking.  A normal, modern car will not go below 10
volts.  Possible culprits include: weak battery, weak cabling & connections,
dying starter motor(draws too much current, but doesn't turn over the
engine), mechanical problem inside the engine causing excessive load for
starter.

>  I pulled all the spark plugs and tried rolling the engine over that way.
It
>  spun at a better speed (closer to normal), and the voltage at the coil
>  dropped to only 9 volts.  The engine seems to be free, ie. it mores with a
>  wrench on the crankshaft sprocket.

If you can turn it over fairly easy w/ a wrench, then it is not a bad engine.
 Also, the dropping to 9 volts when cranking w/ no plugs sounds suspect.  An
engine w/ no plugs will crank real easy and real fast.  There isn't enough
load to drop chassis voltage below 11V.

I'd say you have a starter or cable problem.  Have a helper turn the key and
crank the engine while you check for voltage drop along the positive lead and
the ground path.

Thanks,
Jim Chenoweth
Lancaster, Ohio, USA