Won't Start :-(

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Won't Start :-(
From: Wake074@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 12:25:55 EDT
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Well, today was supposed to be the day to hear the engine run, but I seem to
be having a few problems.  I wish someone on the list was a little closer, as
I don't think anything is seriously wrong, but it won't start.  It doesn't
spit, sputter, nothing.  It is getting gas as occasionally it will shoot gas
back out the carb.  Its probably something one of you could figure out after
looking at it for 5 minutes.

Here's what I have.  Olds Block, Buicks heads, New Cam, Edelbrock carb, RV8
exhausts, rebuilt starter, new coil, rebuilt distrbitor, new points,
condensor etc.  This is my first ever attempt at rebuilding an engine.

How fast should the starter roll the engine over?  It seems like it is going
very slow.  I'm only getting spark on #1 about once a second. This just seems
really slow to me.  I've tried the obvious stuff, running jumper cables
straight to starter solenoid from my truck's battery, to make sure it isn't a
battery or battery lead problem.

My gut feeling tells me it is an ignition / timing problem.  I've got 12
volts on the + side of coil.  I started tying to use the Pextronics  EI unit,
but couldn't get any spark, a bad unit, maybe?  So I switched back to the
points that came with the rebuilt distributor.  Points are a new thing to me,
I've always run with the EI units.  When timing light is attached, I seem to
be getting spark at the right time.

Newby question, how can I tell if I have the distributor in correctly, I
realize that it cane be 180 degrees off.  I've followed the factory manual,
remove valve cover check to make sure both valves on #1 are closed.  But it
seems to me like they are closed on both positions, 0 and 180.  Am I missing
something?

Any words of wisdom? as I'd really like to hear this thing run.

Thanks again,

Glenn