Alternator Locations

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Alternator Locations
From: Wake074@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 20:15:55 EST
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
There has been definite progress on the V8.  For a quick update.  The engine,
tranny, clutch assembly is all in for the last time I hope.  It cost me 80
dollars to get the flywheel surfaced and drilled and tapped for the new
pressure plate.  Worth the peace of mind to not have to worry about my
centering job.  The last big piece left to arrive are the RV8 headers which
hopefully will be here this week, (right Jack?).  I purchased a 3 core
radiator for a 289 Mustang, and it fit quite well, had to trim up the
mounting flange just a little.  I hope this will cool substantially better
than the stock B radiator.  It has a much larger surface area, and has the 3
cores.

I painted 10 days ago.  I've give the list an update on that when I'm in a
better mood.  Short story, painting was easy, getting the dings filled so you
can't see them, impossible.  But it will be good enough to drive for a couple
of years, until I can afford to pay someone to do it right.  I would rather
have the V8 on the road with a marginal paint job than have it sit in the
garage for at least the summer waiting for more funds.

Anyways, to my question.  I am trying to figure out how I need to mount my
alternator.  I've got a stock bracket, which mounts the alternator next to
the oil pump.  That obviously won't work.  By looking around it seems most
logical place to mount the alternator is on the drivers side, as I can't
picture how to mount it on the passenger side without interfering with the
bottom radiator hose.  I would rather not purchase a mount, if I can
fabricate one myself.  Does anybody have a good detailed picture or even
better a scanned schematic of their bracket?

Thanks again for the help,

Glenn
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/wake074/mgbv8.html";>Glenn's V8 Page</A>