Final drive ratios

To: "mgb-v8" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Final drive ratios
From: "Frank van Dalen" <F.vanDalen@lr.tudelft.nl>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 15:41:39 +0200
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I am now well underway converting the front end of my '68 MGB to a RB spec
(including the RB cross-member! -no offence intended Jim) and am starting to
think ahead to what final drive ratio I should be using to match the Rover
3500 engine and SD1 5-speed gear box.
What I have in mind performance wise is a proper sports car that will
accelerate quickly from curve to curve at speeds around 50 to 70 mph, but
will cruise "comfortably" at 100 mph. I have driven two factory V-8s with
the 3.07 final drive ratio, and found their acceleration a bit
disappointing. On the other hand, most people seem to agree that the
standard MGB's 3.9 ratio is unsuitable. What do you people recommend? What
ratios have you tried and how did you like them? (don't forget to mention
whether you built your car for sprint events or for the german motorways!)

Thanks i.a.,

Frank van Dalen