Re: Disappointment for the day

To: "Ron Howard" <DigiFX@coastalnet.com>, "mgb-V8 list" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Disappointment for the day
From: "Simon Holt" <simon.holt@tesco.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 11:26:54 +0100
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Ther's always the easy way out (the one I took) - buy a stock factory car. I
gather there are about 1700 left in existence out of about 2500 built. Mine
is one of the first 30 and is contemporaneous with the press cars.

I thought I'd got a good deal too, until that horrible moment two days after
I bought it when I took it up to 70 mph for the first time and the car
filled with smoke...

... you see, I had noticed that the rear crank case breater filter was
missing. So I made one up and when I came to installing it found the
breather tube had a bolt jammed in it. OK, I thought, that just to stop dust
and dirt getting in there. But no. It was to disguise the fact that the
bores were (somewhat) worn and thereby allowing "crank case pressurisation".

It cost GBP 3000 for a professional rebuild and a further GBP 1000 for
installation and sundries.

Good luck, Glen!

Simon Holt
Bournemouth UK