Re: More questions, would you believe

To: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Subject: Re: More questions, would you believe
From: Glenn Towery <mgv8glen@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 22:46:39 -0700
Cc: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
David Kernberger wrote:

> 4/21/99
>
> Hello out there,
>
>         I have been asking a lot of questions lately---hope it has not been
> too boring---and have certainly received some good responses and have
> learned a lot.  Thanks everyone.
>
>         At any rate, after much research and trial and error, I think I
> have finally come up with a good combination for what I want to accomplish.
> In simple form it is Rover 3.9 block bored +.020"; stock crank; Buick 300
> rods; 255 Ford v8 pistons (like Baker's 289 recipe, but +.040"); Buick 300
> heads; Isky hydraulic cam; and 4-barrel carburetor.  My calculations show
> this should produce about 8.85: 1 C.R. and 243 cubic inch displacement.
> This would be a "hotrod" but not raced.  It would sdimply be a fun car.  By
> the way it would be going into a 1962 Olds F-85 2-door Cutlass hardtop I
> have, with just a stock Warner T-10 4-speed trans. that is already in the
> car.  Would appreciate any critique on this "scheme" anybody is interested
> in passing along to me.
>
>         More importantly, my concern is about the Buick 300 rods.
> Somewhere I have heard they are cast, not forged like the Rover/F-85/Buick
> 215, etc.  Does anybody know if this is true?  If so, does it mean they
> might be the weak link in my proposal.  I have found the pistons mentioned
> to be quite low-priced--that was quite a surprise---but don't know for sure
> yet if my parts house can actually get them.
>
> TIA
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave K.
You better do some more home work BIG TIME!!!!!1st the 300 rods are
cast  (JUNK) 2nd you will still be a 3900 & with 300 heads it will be
very low comp. & this motor wont run without comp. What works best for a
3900 is the 9.35 piston & cut .040 off the top of the deck & you will
get a true 9.70 to 1 ratio with stok rods & rover heads with steel
shims. Use the new Elder. manafold # 2198 with a buick 215 dist. & it
will put out around 220 U.S. BIG HORSES.